Pages

4.10.2015

Avery Elle Petals and Stems: Gift Cards Set

Hello Crafty Friends! Just wanted to pop in and share a set of cards I made for my father-in-law wife. I guess that would make her my mother-in-law too. But, I guess having two mother-in-laws is better than none. Anyway, yesterday I actually had several hours of nothing planned - can you believed it? Yesterday evening, we had a tornado warning, flood watch and thunderstorms all going on at once and boy was I glad I'm not needed anywhere. In the hours of having nothing planned, I managed to make a set of coordinating cards to give to my father-in-law wife as a birthday gift. I try to choose a color palette that will work well with different occasion. I hope you like it.

This first card is my most favorite card from the set. Nothing special other than that the large flower was popped up with foam dimensional adhesives.


This is the first time I used Simon Says Stamp inks. Here I used Mint and Cotton Candy dye Inks. A while back, I was fortunate enough to win a gift voucher to their store. I used my voucher on a few inks and matching cardstocks. I love the cardstocks, but I'm not so sure about the inks. You know the part where the ink "suppose" to even out after it dry? Well, it didn't. I don't know if I'm stamping it wrong or maybe used the wrong type of paper, but I am still getting blotchy stamped images even after I let it dry out. I might have to try them with different stamps. I must say though, the card still turned out very pretty!

I'm not so sure about this next card. I think it looks too plain. I don't know what else to add. What do you think? Or do you think it's already too much?


I added glossy accents to the berries and a pearl to each of the flower. The sentiment was black heat embossed on a stamped background envelope pattern that I won from a contest. It's from Hero Arts. I must say, I love this background stamp. I've already used it five times since I received it two weeks ago.


I absolutely love this third card! I loved the cluster of flowers and thought those pearly centers look much better than the flower nectars that came along with the stamp set. The idea behind this is that I wanted it to look like a bouquet of flowers. And I thought it kind of does after I finished layering them. I used an old, old stamp from Stampin' Up! called Flourishes and Frames to create the light blue frame. I thought it look nice behind all those flowers.


For this card, I was having one particular issue and that is stamping on Vellum. The black ink kept bleeding (like in the picture) every time I stamped the sentiment. After several tries, I decided that I'm just going to leave it like it is. Do any of you know what special ink to use for vellum? Any answers would be very much appreciated.

Looks like we're going to have another thunderstorm again. I hear the rain drops against the window here in my office. OH! I just heard thunder. I better turn off the computer now. Thanks for stopping in and checking up on me. Have yourself a great afternoon or evening or morning! Or wherever you are, have yourself a good one!

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope all that bad weather continues to miss you and you don't have any of the tornadoes! Scary weather for sure.
    Love this set of cards. The colors are muted and so pretty. Love the big blooms too. Great designs.
    Not sure but maybe Stazon ink for vellum wouldn't bleed. I think your stamping on the vellum looks fine though.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all the cards turned out great! It'll be a nice gift to receive. Have you tried Staz On for stamping on vellum? Interesting about the Simon Says Stamp inks . . . they're actually on sale right now and I was kind of tempted to check them out, but maybe not. You'll have to let me know if you figure out something different with the inks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooow all are adorable Ka
    you are busy making lovely flower cards I adore your sentiment
    which company is that MERCI and that CONGRATULATIONS...look so straight and I love it...I love much the MERCI card it has a style and love all the flower stamped there
    your cards always adorable sweety
    big hugs and now it is 00.22 I will go to bed hehehe
    hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all your cards are wonderful, such pretty colours and patterns. I'm a CAS girl at heart so I think the HB card looks great the way it is, you could try some bigger embellies/pearls over the two flowers if you thought you really needed to fuss with it, but I think it looks really sweet. As for the inks, I have some of them too and it took me ages to bond with them too, sometimes it can depend on the stamp (which you could prep with versamark to help) and sometimes it's the cardstock you use, so I just played and now they mostly stamp fine for me. But have you tried the new Ranger Dye Inks, now they really stamp fabulous first time, I bought a few just to try and now I hope they bring out some more funky / modern colours. Hope you have a great weekend planned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, tornado warnings and thunderstorms? I hope you're staying safe and dry!

    All of your cards are beautiful! I don't think the second card is too plain at all, I think it's lovely. And for the last card... stamping on vellum can be challenging. I prefer to heat emboss the sentiment. For black sentiments, I stamp with Versafine "Onyx Black" pigment ink and heat emboss with clear embossing powder. I find this gives a nice crisp result. I also try not to press too hard on the vellum since it can easily smudge/smear.

    I have several SSS inks and I love them. But they can definitely be tricky to use and require some practice. For solid stamps such as these, I prefer to use my pigment inks, as I tend to get better coverage.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like all your cards, Ka--what a great gift! Hope the storms weren't too bad. Versafine, Memento & Brilliance inks all work, but you do have to be sure they're completely dry & I usually end up embossing Versafine. Enjoy your weekend & thanks for the sweet comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ka, these are absolutely STUNNING creations!! I love the colors of the flowers and they look gorgeous with the pearl centers! :)

    I have recently discovered the MFT (My Favorite Things) inks and they're wonderful. I think they work in the same/similar way the SU! new firm foam pads do which I love for clear stamp images. The photo-polyer stamps seem to be blotchy for some reason. Especially when you use them for the first time, I always clean them before I use them. I don't know if it's because of some chemicals or whatever, but when you use a stamp for the first time, try cleaning it first or stamping it on scratch paper first. Just some thoughts! :)

    Thanks for your kind words! I appreciate that! Have a great weekend! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did a test last night & the Versafine looked great, but by morning it had bleed since I didn't emboss it. The other 2 are still perfect. Hope that helps, Ka. I believe StazOn won't bleed, but didn't test that one. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your cards are just beautiful! The second one is perfect without another thing added! Your mother in law is lucky :) I have some of the SSS inks too and like you, have had some splotchy that never evened up , but sometimes they smooth out nicely. It might be the paper?? For vellum I always heat emboss. Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ka, Just wanted to pop in and thank you for all the sweet comments that you've left me on my blog. I've joined your site and look forward to following you :)
    Your designs are beautiful!!
    Just came back from the Canadian version of Scrapfest so am pretty tired but I will be back to see more of your creations soon!
    Natalie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great way to pass the time when its stormy, and you came up with a fabulous set of cards Ka. Your MIL will be thrilled to such a great selection.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! What a gorgeous set of cards, I love all the soft colors you chose.
    I hope you have a wonderful week!!!
    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are fantastic!! Al of them are so very beautiful! Love the color combos you used! Lovely!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great bunch of cards! Loving the colors your chose, so pretty and that last one with the softness of the vellum, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cards are so pretty. I love the soft colors you chose to use. My favorite is the last one with the vellum. I am trying to figure out about your SS ink problem. What kind of white paper are you using to stamp the images on? I find that has a lot to do with if the ink sinks in or not. Coated paper seems to have a more difficult time sinking in. Beautiful cards Ka. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Xie Xie | Tak | Merci | Danke Schoen | Grazie | Domo Arrigato | Talofa | Cheers | Gracias | Kiitos

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! ♥